1 in 9 people in the world lack access to safe water.
1 in 3 people lack access to a toilet.
Resettled communities around Hue still lack basic access to fresh water and proper water sanitation practices. In partnership with Rotary International, H4H implements clean water projects that consist of new constructing water access systems, building hygienic latrines, and teaching on water conservation and sanitation.By teaching families and children about environmental sanitation, waste water management, and water conservation, H4H works to educate and improve the lives of women, children and families in the Thua Thien-Hue province.
“Life is less difficult now that we have clean water, my children really enjoy it. Before we used the river to bathe, now my children open the tap whenever they need a bath.”
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS:
Hearts for Hue works with the local authority to identify communities that lack water access and proper sanitation systems. Many of these communities have high poverty rates and lack basic education on wastewater management.
Communities usually rely on bottled water or waterways, rivers, and streams for their daily activities. Buying bottled water is costly and relying on natural water sources can be dangerous. Many villages do not have sufficient wastewater management systems leading waterways to becoming contaminated. This can lead to serious health risks such as skin rashes, gastrointestinal issues, diarrhea; along with water-born diseases such as Typhoid and Cholera.
HEARTS FOR HUE, WITH THE SUPPORT OF THE ROTARY FOUNDATION,DOVE FUND and UNILEVER FOUNDATION, WORKS WITH THE COMMUNITIES IN THREE AREAS:
- Water Supply System:
- Work with the community to build a new water supply system, enabling access to fresh water for all residents.
- Training on Water Supply System and Environmental Sanitation:
- Train local officers and head’s of the village on water supply system overview and maintenance, sanitation and hygiene, and presentation skills. Officers are given the knowledge and tools needed to hold training sessions with the community to educate villagers on topics related to water management and sanitation.
- The local officers, with the support of Hearts for Hue, give trainings to the entire village as well as the local children.
- Latrine Construction:
- Hygienic latrines are built in the community. Hearts for Hue provides the materials and tools to build the latrines, while eligible families provide the labor.
WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM AND ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION PROJECTS:
2016 Water supply system for ethnic minority in Phuc Loc Village, Phu Loc District
2013 Water supply system in Kenh Tac Commune, Phu Vang District